Resistive-Capacitive Voltage Dividers are designed for measurement and protection in HVDC transmission systems, and AC air insulated (AIS) or gas insulated (GIS) switchgear.
For DC: The measuring system consists of an RC voltage divider which provides inputs to a specially designed electronic power amplifier. The resulting system can accurately transform voltages within a defined burden range with linear frequency response. As such, the system is ideal for measurement for dynamic and transient phenomena and harmonics associated with HVDC systems.
In AC transmission systems: used for the measurement of Power Quality as harmonics, overvoltage’s, flicker, due an accurate representation of the voltage over a wide frequency band, and are not sensitive to the trapped charges phenomena. Furthermore the so-called RCVTs can be used for measurement and protection purposes in modern low burden applications, such as Digital Substations.
First delivery of voltage dividers
Since then Trench units are used in hundreds of HVAC and HVDC applications worldwide.
- Hermetically sealed construction
- Stainless steel expansion chamber
- High seismic withstand design available
- Provides an accurate and reliable image of the voltage on the HV line to measure and determine the origin of disturbances
- Accurate over a large frequency range
- Excellent transient characteristics
- As RCVTs do not have any saturable cores, they cannot get into ferroresonance
- Not affected by the discharge of the line: no risk for the unit
Trench is the most experienced supplier of instrument transformers and voltage dividers for HVDC and Power Quality application, with thousands of units delivered since 1975.
AC Voltage Dividers (RCVT)
- Available up to 550kV
- Available with composite insulators
- Oil or SF6 inner insulation
- High Accuracy Harmonic Measurement on wide range of frequencies (Power Quality)
- High Accuracy Voltage Measurement also in case of fast transient
Technical leaflet supplied upon request.
DC Voltage Dividers
- Available up to 800 kV DC
- Used for measuring and protection
- True representation of transmission line voltage
- No feedback to the measured voltage and the network
- Broad frequency bandwidth
- Oil/paper-polypropylene or SF6 /polypropylene insulation
- Composite insulator
- Available in compliance all IEC and ANSI metering requirements: class 0.2 or lower
- High seismic withstand